A new dress! This one was made with Jewel of Brooklyn Dress kit from Kollabora, that consisted of Simplicity 2281, a Cynthia Rowley Collection pattern, and 2 m of 100% silk Solid Crepe de Chine from Mood Fabrics.
Since I didn’t really want the dress in two colors like the Kollabora version, I asked for the color Tango Red, Tara from Kollabora was really helpful to accommodate my request.
Simplicity 2281 is a sweet dress with gathered neckline, hidden pockets and gathered tulip skirt. I made view A in size 6 on bust and hip, size 8 on waist. Other than my usual adjustments, I also left off the back ties and adding center back seam for invisible zipper. This way I can adjust the sides later if I need to (which I did). Still too lazy for making a muslin first I suppose….
- shortening upper front and back bodice 1 cm
- shortening midriff front and back 2 cm
- swayback adjustment on upper back bodice 1 cm
- discarded the ties and added center back seam to midriff back and skirt back for invisible zipper.
After sewing my first silk dress, I’m not afraid of silk anymore! This crepe de chine was easier to work with than the previous silk, it went smoothly under my sewing feet and was surprisingly a lot more stabler that I have imagined. So, no problem at all with the fabrics.
The instructions are quite clear although I didn’t really follow the instructions order, which called for finishing the bodice and lining it first before attaching the skirt. As I wanted to be able to alter the sides later, the side seams were sewed the last. After fitting, I did have to pinch the sides about 1.5 cm on each side from armhole to the waist. I also lowered the neckline about 1.5 cm. No further fitting alterations other than those two, I guess all the pattern alterations have worked quite well.
Dress pattern and supplies are Jewel of Brooklyn Dress from Kollabora.