Making reversible bag

Reversible bag

Bag dimensions in approximate:

• from top of straps to bottom of bag: 50 cm / 20 inches
  • height: 28 cm / 11 inches
  • width: 40 cm / 16 inches

Fabric needed:

I don’t know because I used leftover fabric for my bag. You can print the pattern and place it on your fabric to make an approximation. It is only one piece of pattern.

Fort similar bag, you can check Charlie bag by Burdastyle ($1.99). It is a bit bigger and has squared bottom.

Please go to the bottom of this post to download the PDF pattern and tutorial.

Disclaimer: You may use the finished products for both personal and commercial use (craft shops or markets only – no mass production). Please do not pass off the pattern and tutorial as your own. Thank you!

The Tutorial

1. Here is 4 pieces of fabrics after being cut. We’re gonna refer them as set A and set B. If you want pockets, sew them before going to the next step.
Making reversible bag

2. Sew the bottom and sides of each set. My bag has a rounded bottom and a dart, Charlie bag has straight edges.

If you use my pattern, sew the darts before sewing the bottom and sides of bag. My apology for not showing how to sew the darts, please do a google search if you don’t know.
Making reversible bag

3. Put set B in set A, right sides together, and sew around the straps. Stop stitching about 20 cm before the tops of the straps. If your machine has reverse stitch, use it on each end of stitchings to secure it.
Making reversible bag

4. Clip rounded corners.
Making reversible bag

5. Turn the right sides out through one of the straps. It will be a bit difficult at first and you’re gonna wonder if you’re doing it right, but just keep doing it. You will feel a thug and after that the bag will turn right sides out smoothly.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

Pull out each of the remaining straps.
Making reversible bag

6. Look! You almost have a bag!
Making reversible bag

7. Sew the straps of each set together. I often sew the straps absent-mindedly and then found out that I’ve attached them wrong! So please make sure that you sew each strap to the strap beside it, NOT the strap that is in front of it.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

8. Press the seams open. Fold seam allowances on straps and press. Also press edges of bag to make it easier for topstitching.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

9. Match the tops seams together and pin all open edges of straps. You can also use fusible tapes to make sure it is neat. But I will use pins here.
Making reversible bag

10. Topstitch all edges of bag. I use different colour thread for the bobbin.
Making reversible bag A reversible bag!

A reversible bag!
A reversible bag! A reversible bag!

Thank you for reading and I hope this post is useful for you!

Click to download:

PATTERN:

Download172256 downloads

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download119299 downloads

Have you made something from my tutorials? Join my flickr group to share!

309 Responses to Making reversible bag

1. Gabrielle says:

My brother suggested I might like this website. He used to be totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much
    time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

2. JulieFDM says:

Thank you so much! I’ll try to do it for my sister!!

3. Terry says:

I’d pinned this tutorial some time ago and just made it this morning. I can’t wait to post it on the Flickr group! You’re right, turning the bag through the straps are TOUGH! Annie T, I bet it’s sewn right, you just can’t believe the two sewn together bags can squeeze through a tiny strap that isn’t sewn at the top. I started pushing through the furthest end to go through the strap first, and gradually, pulled and tugged and pulled until it came out. I’d stabilized each of the 4 pieces before sewing it, and it was pretty thick, but it finally made it! Thanks for sharing the pattern – I love it!

4. AnnieT says:

Like beryl lloyd, I am having problems with the straps. Can’t seem to turn them correctly – does anyone have a video tutorial that shows how to bring the straps through for the final product? I have gone back and checked all my sewing, and according to the picture tutorial I have done everything correctly. I’m getting frustrated as I know there has to be an easy answer to this. Thank you.

5. Mimi du Sud says:

Hello, Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I’ll try to make it. Warm regards from France

6. Rachel says:

Hi,

How much of each fabric do I need for this bag? Thanks

7. Nanana says:

Thank you for your pattern.
    Made it and presented for my friend!

Bag—–>

8. Nahomi says:

I am from Japan,Ehime pref.Thank you for your cute bag pattern!! :)

9. Vanessa says:

Hi, everyone is saying how easy this is for beginners… I’m a beginner and would not have a clue how to see a dart. Anyone able to help? I’ve cut out all my pieces and am ready to go otherwise! :)

10. beryl lloyd says:

I have made the reversible bag having trouble I turn it in though the strap I get a one sided bag can u help beryl

11. Lindsey says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial and THANKS for making it printable!!!

12. Helen T says:

Thank you SO much for sharing your pattern.
    I am a novice sewer but I found it really easy to do.
    I tried one side in PVC oilskin. I wasn’t sure if it
    would be too thick but it worked well. Thank you xx

13. ana cecilia quiros cordero says:

graciaspor estos patrones estan muy lindos las felicito

14. marisa says:

I am a beginner in sewing and just finished making this bag. It is adorable and my husband was really impressed. Thank you for the easy to follow instructions.

15. Wiebke says:

Great idea! Wonderful bag… I am from Germany and everyone find the bag great! Here’s my Bag -> https://www.facebook.com/Wiwikuss … Greetings

1 9 10 11