Tutorial: Side slant pocket

Checks pants: Front pocket Red pants Linen cropped pants Floral pants

A reader commented on my post ‘Three meters of black linen’ , asking about how I made the side slant pockets for my son’s pants. So this is a tutorial on how I made them. You can also use this method for adult’s clothing by simply changing the dimensions.

Making the pockets pattern

Side slant pocket

Draw pocket line.

• Trace the front part of the pattern.
  • Draw the slanted opening line of the pocket. Make sure that it is big enough for the hand of the wearer.
  • My example here is for kid’s pants with separate waistband. If the pants has no separate  waistband (i.e: pyjama pants with elastic or drawstring), the width of the elastic/drawstring area should be added to the side length of the pocket.
  • The pocket is 6 cm at the top and 10 cm on the side. You might need to make it bigger for adult’s size.
  • You can also make a curved line instead of straight line.

Draw the pocket lining

Side slant pocket

Draw the pocket lining.

• Make a rough shape, approximately 12×20 cm. Make it bigger if you like deeper pocket.
  • Round the corner for easier sewing.
  • Trace pattern pieces

Side slant pocket

Pattern pieces: front pant piece, pocket lining, and pocket pouch.

• Mark the placement of pocket line on the pocket pouch.
    • Trace all the pattern pieces on separate pattern paper and add seam allowances to the pieces.
    • You will have three pieces: front pant piece, pocket lining, and pocket pouch.

Sewing the pockets

Side slant pocket

Front pant pieces, pocket linings, and pocket pouches.

• Use your pattern to cut fabric.
    • You can use different fabric for the pocket lining for added detail and/or to prevent bulkiness if your fabric is a bit thick.
    • Since the slant pocket lines are not cut on fabric grain, I suggest to use fusible interfacing stay along the slanted lines to prevent stretching.
    Side slant pocket

Place pocket lining on front pant piece, right sides together.

• Place pocket lining on front pant piece, right sides together.
    • Sew along the slanted line (or curved, if your pocket is curved).
    Side slant pocket

Turn the pocket and press the edge.

• Turn the pocket and press the edge. If your lines are curved, clip the seam allowance before turning the pocket.
    Side slant pocket

Topstitch the edge of pocket.

• Topstitch the edge of pocket to keep the lining from ‘rolling’ outside. I usually use longer stitch length to do topstitching.
    • You can also make topstitching with thicker or different colour thread for added visual interest.
    Side slant pocket

Pin the edge of pocket and sew along the edge.

• Take your pocket pouch piece and place it on the pocket area, matching the placement marks.
    • Pin the edge of pocket and sew along the edge.
    Side slant pocket

Finish the raw edge with your choice of finishing.

• Finish the raw edge with your choice of finishing. You can use a serger, but I usually just use zigzag stitches.
    Side slant pocket

Baste the top and the sides of pocket.

• Baste the top and the sides of pocket to the front pant piece.
    Side slant pocket

Finish your pants as usual.

• You have a pair of front pieces with side slant pocket! Finish your pants as usual.

I hope my tutorial is useful! (^_^)/

Side slant pocket Side slant pocket
    Side slant pocket Side slant pocket

24 Responses to Tutorial: Side slant pocket

1. Nkechi says:

Thank you for the tutorial, you have just solved my problem. Would try it right awAaway. Thanks again

2. Imugene says:

I am a man, do some sewing; but some of my trousers POCKETS are not deep enough for me.
      Does anyone of you gals can tell me in a simple way to extend the two front pockets deeper?

I have been cutting the bottoms of the original pockets and adding on (deeper) approx 3 or 4 inches to the bottom. Is there a better way?

Thank You.
      (My mother was a Seamstress and I use to watch her sew and I can do some sewing but I am no expert.)

3. yuanita says:

mbak novi… makasih ya tutorialnya.. aku nyontek tutorialnya pas aku bikin jumpsuit,
      ijin tempel linknya mbak novi di postingku ya…
      mbak novi bisa cek di http://yuanitacik.blogspot.com/2012/05/jahitan-4-jumpsuit-pendek-batik-batik.html
      kalau misal mbak novi gak berkenan nanti akan aku hapus. terima kasih ^^

4. Tammia says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to document and photograph this tutorial! I could never figure these pockets out, but you made it possible. I’ve used your tute a couple times now!
      (blogged here: http://redthreadlove.blogspot.com/2012/03/ring-bearer.html)

5. mba, makasih banyak ya mo share tutorial ini, aku mo bikinin ah celana berkantong untuk my lil boy..aku masih harus belajar banyak cara menjahit,terutama celan berkantong…makasihhh yaaaa mbaaaa:*

6. Veronica says:

Makasih tutorialnya Novita. Aku kagum dan bertanya2, berapa item yang kamu jahit dalam 1 hari ya? sudah berapa tahun berkecimpung dalam dunia jahit menjahit? hebat!! :)

7. Esther says:

Thank you for the tutorial and all the amazing inspirations! :)

8. Mady says:

Thank you so much for this lovely tutorial!Your site is lovely and is a great inspiration for a begginer at sewing like me!

9. Sophia says:

Thank you so much!

I shied away from starting sewing some tapered trousers last week because of the pockets (too many pattern pieces!). Now I can give them a go :)

10. tatiana says:

very good tutorial thanks!!

11. aimee says:

Great tutorial, thank you!

12. Michelle says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Just the other day I was looking for a way to make these pocket and couldn’t not find a tutorial anywhere online.

13. Cybergirly says:

Awesome tutorial! I want to make some pyjama bottoms now! x

14. susan hwang says:

Thank you X 100! Thanks so much Novita for taking my tutorial request.. I was afraid to try it on my own but now you’ve given me the perfect tutorial to get started. You are very generous and kind :)

15. Anne says:

Thank you for sharing this tutorial! In my head I’ve always known this is how to do it, but the thought of drafting all those pieces and having them match up has seemed overwhelming. Your tutorial takes the “scary” out and makes it doable.

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing: