Actually I’ve finished this top sometime ago before we moved to this house, but haven’t got time to take proper pictures. I’m still looking for a nice spot for taking pictures, I kinda miss the blank wall in my old apartment.
The pattern is Banksia top by Megan Nielsen. From the pattern envelope: “Semi fitted with button up placket front, and large peter pan collar it also features elbow length sleeves and shaping darts at the bust line. Pattern includes two different placket finishes based on skill level.”
It was my first time sewing a button placket like this, and I’m happy that I learned something new from making this top. I made the top in size XS, no alteration. The fabric is very thin black cotton with red heart-shaped buttons on the placket. (edited: the fabric is quite cheap so it shrunk after washing, so I probably would need to do an SBA for my future Banksia top)
I think it is quite a cute little top, the shape is simple enough to be made in different fabrics for wardrobe addition. I’m planning to make another in print fabric for summer.
The shorts were made with Iris shorts pattern by Colette, it is one of their newly-released patterns for spring. I was pretty excited when Colette released these patterns, especially because they are now available in digital forms. It means that I don’t have to wait several weeks for shipping, I can sew it rightaway! Anyway, it turned out that I didn’t sew the shorts just until yesterday….
Pattern description: “These simple and cute shorts are so quick to sew, you could make them in every color. Pockets are set into a front side seam and optionally close with buttons. The shorts sport a 4 1/2 inch inseam length and close with an invisible side zipper..” I made them in size 2 with no alteration. Usually I’m a size 0 in Colette patterns, but the finished size measurements showed that there is only 1/2 inches ease around the waist. I thought that this is too little to be comfortable so I chose size 2. As usual for all Colette patterns, the instructions are very clear and constructions went quickly.
It fits perfectly well around my waist and not too big around my hip, although it is size 2. The crotch is quite close-fitting, and I think it makes the back area looks better than the usually low-crotch RTW pants. However, there is a lot of lines around the center front, also there’s a bit of diagonal lines in the back side. Maybe I should have made some fitting alterations to the pants, but I have no idea what kind of alteration that I need to eliminate these lines.
Anyway, the fabric is a meter of twill that I found in my stash, and I have completely forgotten where I got it from. I think it is linen/cotton mix and it is very comfortable against the skin, perfect for summer.
I’ve been sewing standing up since moving to the new house, and I like it! It saves space and I can sew in the kitchen/dining room. The sewing machine and serger are placed on the window ledge, which is quite the ideal standing desk height for a small person like me. I will get a bar stool later so I can have option for sitting down. The room is now called ‘mama area’ in the house because that is where I spend most of my time 🙂