Couch cover

Couch, before
Couch, before

Not a very interesting project, but something that needs to be done. The couch is actually a sofa bed bought from IKEA, I love the simple shape and the neutral navy colour. But after two years of having a little boy jumping on it every single day, it finally showed some signs of deterioration.

There is actually a huge tear on the back side of the seater, and it became bigger with every jump on it. I know I should do something about it sooner, but making a couch cover is sooo not appealing! I kept postponing the project for several months, and the couch was there, looking really bad in the living room. Today I finally decided to make the cover and it was finished in less than 30 minutes! Procrastination is indeed a bad habit.

Couch, after

Elastic underneath

I was going to make a real cover with zipper and all, but then I was too lazy to do it. So I only made a simple cover with mitered corner and then stitched an elastic underneath. Easy peasy! I also made a matching pillow cover with the same fabric. The fabric is Indian cotton dhurrie in blue stripes, the texture is so nice.

Now I hope the new cover can withstand the heavy wear and tear that lay ahead!

Related Post

  • Your couch looks very much like ours, except ours is grey with “puffy” arms and storage underneath the mattress. We even have a cube-shaped footrest likes yours, but it’s red. ^_^
    Our couch has a slipcover, but I don’t like it because it’s made of knit fabric and attracts dog fur. D: I need to try to make something like this to replace the old one. You make it look so easy! If my results are even half as nice as yours I will be happy. ^_^

  • Lee

    Can u please come to Austin,TX and fix our couch!!! Yours look so clean and fresh…great job!

  • Brilliant idea. The elastic bands will make the cushion cover project easier.

  • I really like how the new sofa looks like. We have a lot of ikea furniture and it’s great to see it made more personalized.

  • Looks great and super comfy!

  • Hey Novita, I am still here waiting my motivation comes up to sew a sofa cover.. You did a great job and the fabric seems very nice for hot & humid summer. I love that! Also, I read your latest post! It’s so sweet and I am glad you two are happy together!! Say hello to your husband! Have a lovely evening;)

    • verypurpleperson

      I still need to make some pillow cases but maybe I’ll do it in a few months from now πŸ˜› At least I’ve finished the couch cover!
      My husband said hello to you and your husband too!

  • Sky

    Looks great. Love the gator! πŸ™‚

    I know what you mean about postponing, I started saying I’m going to make new pillowcases and curtains for my room months ago.

  • nice! I often get lazy about zippers- I have used drawstrings or elastic for this type of thing!

  • We have the same exact couch too back here in Malaysia and also have already changed the cover. Your new cover looks very much cozy πŸ™‚

  • dian

    it looks soooo comfy, suka banget paduan warnanya…:)

  • a very good change!