As you might know, my wardrobe is mostly consisted of dresses, which is something that I had wanted to fix since the beginning of the year. But there were always some pretty dress patterns that distracted my attention and I kept making more dresses.
A couple of months ago I bought these pair of denim from Modcloth on a whim. Note to self: there are certain times each month when I have to avoid online shopping site. Anyway, it is a high-waisted skinnies in stretchy materials and was the most loved item in denim section so I clicked and bought them in size 3. It turned out that I really like this denim! I wore them almost everyday this summer but the lack of tops in my wardrobe doesn’t offer too much choices to wear with the denim pants. So I searched for a basic top pattern with enough interesting details to keep me motivated and found it in Tamanegi-Kobo, a Japanese pattern store.
The pattern is called Garnet. It is designed for knit fabric and offers two options of sleeve, gathered cap sleeves and open shoulder with elbow length sleeves. I love that the bodice is quite basic with enough shaping. I can alter it to an ordinary T-shirt or tank top. The instructions are in Japanese but it is a simple pattern so it was quite easy.
I happened to find some knit fabric in three different patterns, each is about 1.2 m. The first top that I cut is the black dots on light pink fabric. The fabric is quite thin and fragile and it was sort of a muslin for this pattern. I cut size S and it fits me right without too many alterations except for shortening the sleeves. I then shortened the bodice too because I like to wear the tops not tucked in. Since the pattern is shortened, I managed to cut two tops for each of the next two fabrics!
The sleeves and neckline of the tees are finished with knit binding. Instead of binding, I just serged folded strips of fabric along the edge and then topstitched them from the right side. The topstitching was done in zigzag stitch with width set on 0.5 and length on 3. For the blue cap sleeved version, I used plush elastic to finish the sleeves and neckline.
And of course, matching dog tees from the leftover fabrics! It will be like mother-daughter outfits! Or not.