Velvet Tiramisu dress

Velvet Tiramisu Dress Velvet Tiramisu Dress

After seeing so many pretty versions of this dress -check out this delicious purple number by lladybird-, I’m jumping into the Tiramisu dress bandwagon!

If you haven’t heard about this pattern, this is the first pattern from Steph‘s new pattern line, Sewing Cake. From the description of Tiramisu Dress: “Knit knee-length dress with front surplice (mock wrap) neckline, short kimono sleeves and an easily customizable midriff section. The skirt features in-seam pockets and falls in the soft folds of a vintage half-circle skirt. The pattern includes optional stripes placement guide, cup sizing A-D and a bust alteration line.” It is available as paper patterns on Steph’s Etsy shop and PDF pattern in her Craftsy shop.

Velvet Tiramisu Dress Velvet Tiramisu Dress

I just got back from the store with this stretch velvet in floral pattern, perfect for spring. No patience to wait for the paper pattern to arrive, I bought the PDF version so I can start right away. This pattern uses different sizing than most other pattern companies. Instead of choosing a certain set of sizes, you choose your high bust measurement, corresponding cup measurement, and waist measurement. The combined result is your own personal pattern! As for me, I ended up with size 30D with 25″ waist.

Velvet Tiramisu Dress Velvet Tiramisu Dress

Now I would usually put the list of alterations that I’ve made on a pattern, like swayback adjustment etc. But I didn’t do anything except for shortening the waistband a bit (1.5 cm) and the hem, the dress fits me straight out of the envelope! The dress was made on my overlocker, so it was finished really quickly. I only use sewing machine to attach the pockets and finish the hem using blindstitch. The pattern was printed before lunch and I ended up with a dress in the afternoon. You can see that I’m very happy!

Velvet Tiramisu Dress Velvet Tiramisu Dress

Pattern is Tiramisu Dress (PDF version) size 30D.

32 Responses to Velvet Tiramisu dress

1. Regina says:

Would you consider this pattern for a beginner? I mostly sew purses and other accessories.

• Novita says:

I think it is good for beginner! There’s no set-in sleeves and most of the seams are straight. It’s also a good learning experience in fitting. You can also omit the pockets to make it easier. Good luck!

2. Absolutely yummy tiramisu! The velvet just made it heavenly. I must check the pattern out:)

3. Kacie says:

Beautiful! Now I want to make one! :)

4. StephC says:

I love this! You did a lovely job, and I’m pleased it went together so quickly for you, too. :) :) Beautiful velvet… Yum!

5. Julianne says:

I’ve been seeing so many luscious velvets and velours on sewing blogs lately, it’s tempting me to ride down to my local fabric shop and see what suits me!

I feel like most of the Tiramisus I’ve seen have been on curvier ladies, and it’s nice to see how flattering it is on a different body shape. Well done!

• Novita says:

I’ve made several wrap dresses (or mock wrap dresses) and I think it is flattering on most body types. Stretch velvet is wonderful, you get the glam of the velvet and easy wearing from the stretch. I love it! :)

6. Lizzy says:

I love this – best version I’ve seen yet. I think it looks gorgeous in florals and prints. I’m most jealous of your fabric – it’s just yummy!

7. Ginger says:

This is GORGEOUS! It really suits you! Lovely!

8. Layla says:

Wow! I LOVE your version so much! Beautiful job, and you look lovely in it.

9. This is the nicest version of this dress I’ve seen-I reckon the ‘waist-band’ could do with more shortening for a more empire state of mind. The current length seems to visually shorten you a little. The fabric’s awesome by the way-in the photos it doesn’t look like knit at all..

10. Mary in FL says:

Your dress is really pretty!

11. I really love your dress. The beautiful fabric paired with the simple pattern design goes great together. I have fabric envy!

12. lisa g says:

how funny, i was just thinking about this pattern this morning and how i must buy it! your floral version is lovely. can’t wait to have my own!

13. maddie says:

Is that fabric really floral velvet? Oh my do I like it. And don’t start teasing me about spring. We still have a couple more weeks to go!

• Novita says:

I found it in my neighborhood fabric store for about USD15 for 2.5 yards! It’s a little store owned by an old couple, they seem curious to see a foreigner always come to buy fabric there. Other customers are mostly grannies :P

14. Lisa says:

This style suits you really well! Looks lovely, good job!

15. Alright – I’m convinced – I must buy this pattern! I love your version of this dress, in that beautiful fabric! So refreshing :)

16. Rosemary says:

As i admire this dress, i miss my sewing machine so much.

I love your fabric choice.

17. Very cute dress Novita :)!

18. Sofie says:

I think this is my favourite Tiramisu yet. Looks so good on you!

19. MadeByMeg says:

this is my absolute favorite tiramisu. beautiful!

20. Tilly says:

Very pretty! Love your choice of fabric – it looks so soft and cosy, plus the design of the dress shows off the pretty print. This looks like something you’ll get a lot of wear out of.

21. Shelly says:

I love this dress on you. The style and fabric is lovely.

22. yoshimi says:

WOW! I really love this elegant dress on you. Beautiful, Novita! Now I’m off to check the pattern…