So, what happened in my life during the year 2011? Definitely a lot, but since this blog is supposed to be a sewing blog, I’m going to talk about everything sewing-related.
- One of the most important decision that I made was to close my etsy shop. There are so many things that I want to learn, and I feel that making things for the shop had taken too much of my time. I used to make easy and quick clothes that don’t need too much fitting, but this year I’ve learned to take more time for my projects for better results.
- I’ve started to use a vintage pattern drafting book in 2010 to draft several clothes. In 2011, I finally bought a vintage pattern on etsy and made a dress with it. I began to use more vintage patterns now.
- Made my first bathing suit!
- It was my dream to be able to make anything that I wear, including lingerie, but I was afraid to start. It seemed so difficult and complicated. But I finally gathered my courage to make my first set. Addicted ever since!
- It seems that 2011 is the year of firsts! I joined my first sew-along for Men’s shirt at Male Pattern Boldness using Negroni pattern from Colette. I made muslin and altered it to fit my husband’s body. After the sew-along, I have used this pattern numerous times to make shirts for him.
- Since joining the sew-along, I got interested to learn more about alteration for better fitting. I bought Fit for Real People and later Pants for Real People for this purpose.
- Another sew-along at Male Pattern Boldness, this time is for Men’s jeans. I learned to install jeans button, rivets, and made button fly! My husband got himself a total of four pants out of this pattern. Thank you Peter for these sew-alongs!
- I found my waist! I always feel self-conscious about my body because of my scoliosis and asymmetrical hip. I always wore loose dresses to cover this imperfection. But sewing has made me learn to know my body better and I began to see that my imperfection is just a part of me, nothing to hide about. I began to make more fitted dresses and separates. But most of all, I love myself better now.
- I didn’t make too many projects with Japanese pattern books anymore. I used to make lots of clothing from them, the loose line was perfect for me. They are also easy and quick to sew with little or no alteration needed. I think my style has changed now. I’m 40 this year, so I want to look like a grown-up. Err… perhaps a little too late to say that?! Anyway, nothing is too late for anything!
- And of course, I got to see the blouse variation that I made for Burdastyle Sewing Handbook! Actually I made the project last year, but it is nice to finally see them printed in such a beautiful book this year.
I think 2011 has been a very good year for me. I can’t wait to see what 2012 will bring! Happy New Year!