I’ve made a billfold wallet for Sidra before, but wasn’t very satisfied with the result. The wallet was too thick to be put under the sewing machine foot, so I had to finish the topstitchings by hand.
To make my first try on the women’s wallet, I tried following a tutorial found in the net. There were so many pieces and measurement. From the very beginning, the wallet just wasn’t too neat, and when I sewed the outer layer and flipped it out, it just looked like disaster. I tried to start over, but when I unpicked the stitches, the fabric ripped on the corners. And to make it worse, the zipper stuck! This is disgusting.
I decided to make my own pattern for the next attempt, I wanted much less pieces so as not to get confused. So I made the lower part of the zippered pocket, the outer layer, and the card pockets all in one piece. The card pockets are one piece folded together like an accordion. No little pieces!
The wallet has 4 card slots (I’ve wanted to make 6 card slots but mysteriously ended with 4), a zippered pocket for coins, and 2 long pockets for money. The wallet opens and shuts with heart-shaped velcro sewed on its wide tab. For added structure, the wallet also has iron-on interfacing for added structure.