Coming late for the MPB Jeans Sew-Along, but I finally finished the first muslin for my husband’s jeans. The brushed cotton twill was only 1 m, so the muslin is cropped as I only need to check the fit around waist and hip area. The finished jeans will be full-length.
The pattern is Men’s jeans from Pumila, a Japanese pattern shop (paper pattern). They have 5 sizes, but when I checked the measurement chart, my husband is in the biggest size (L). He’s not very big, I wonder if Japanese men are usually small?
I love that the pattern is printed on medium weight paper, which is more durable than tissue paper. It also came with instructions in Japanese, that I don’t understand. I only looked at the drawings and tried to understand them. It was fun though, as if I was cracking some secret codes.
I didn’t make any changes to the pattern other than shortening the legs. My husband tried them on yesterday and they fit quite well. The waistband sits a bit lower than his usual jeans, but he said he didn’t mind. I personally prefer pants that sits lower like this so I’m quite happy with it. The waistband is a bit wide (5 cm), and it doesn’t stay up around the button/buttonhole area. I think I need to reduce the width for the finished jeans.
The front of the pants are quite okay, but there are wrinkles around the crotch on the back. I don’t know if it’s okay as I’m quite clueless about pants fitting. However, my husband said the the pants are very comfortable.
Overall I’m quite satisfied with the pants, and sewing it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I also had the chance to practice installing my first jeans button! It makes the pants have the RTW look, I love it. Can’t wait to start on the real jeans now!
Pattern is Men’s jeans from Pumila (paper pattern).