Men’s shirt: second (and wearable) muslin!

Men's shirt, second muslin

I look good in plaids

This is the second muslin with pattern adjustment as described in the previous post. My husband doesn’t like to wear plaid fabric, so there are no plaid patterns in his wardrobe, all solid colors with occasional stripes.

I always think that he would look good in plaids though. So I used this opportunity to make him wear them by making a muslin shirt from madras fabric. I’m very sneaky.

The madras fabric was only 2 meters, just enough for a short sleeves shirt with no pocket. Making shirt in plaids is also an exercise for me in matching lines. I think the  matching lines on front opening and sides are pretty successful.

The fit is definitely better now! No more creases around the shoulders and neckline. The shoulder length seems good to my eye and my husband said that the shirt is comfortable.

“Hey, I actually look good in plaids!” he said. He put on the shirt and began admiring himself in the mirror. After we took these pictures, he wore the shirt to office today. Plaids have won his heart!

I’m very happy that the muslin is totally wearable, but now it’s about time to make the ‘real’ thing!
Men's shirt, second muslin Men's shirt, second muslin Men's shirt, second muslin Men's shirt, second muslin

Men's shirt, second muslin Men's shirt, second muslin

20 Responses to Men’s shirt: second (and wearable) muslin!

1. Liz says:

Aha! Thank you SO much for the detail shot of the top button! I just wasn’t totally clear on how that would look in the highly unlikely event my boyfriend would actually button it, but want to put the button in the right place just in case. :)

2. Iveta says:

This shirt looks great. Color suits your husband, YES he look good:)).
    And fabric is beautiful.
    Happy husband!

3. silvia says:

That looks great! Your hubby will have a very nice shirt wardrobe now that you’ve got that pattern customized for his fit. Maybe you can make him a crazy aloha shirt next, now that he’s liking a bit of pattern?! ;-)

4. Missus D says:

Love plaid! He looks happy and comfortable in it too! I don’t think I could ever get my husband in plaid…EVER.

5. luckie says:

I love plaids! nice work

6. Kae says:

hahaha! your husband seems funny. the plaid shirt looks great! you should make a matching one for your son ;)

7. Chancy says:

I LOVE the plaid! I also love that when you are all done with this project your husband will have gotten multiple wearable shirts.

8. Trudy Callan says:

Great job. Looks nice.

9. Sheng says:

Your husband is a lucky man. You’re a very good seamstress. Oh how I envy your talent!

10. Sew New York says:

He DOES look good in plaids! I like the colors. :-) Nice job.

11. lore says:

I had to come by from flickr and say how much I love this shirt! I wondered how the sloping shoulder adjustment would work with a plaid as you turn it into an arc, but it looks great. Dare I say it looks better than just if the plaid was straight across. I do dare !

lore
    x

To tell you the truth, I didn’t think much about how it would affect the lines! Now that you’ve said it, I realize that it is arc-shaped. I will pretend that it’s a thoughtful design detail then :P
      But maybe I should’ve made the shoulder adjustment on the front piece only, so the back piece can stay straight.
      Good luck with your shirt too! Looking forward to the finished result!

12. Emer says:

That muslin looks great, the fit is perfect. And its true he does look good in plaids.

13. by Jelena says:

The shirt looks very nice and I have to say-you’ve done a great job of making your husband a model. I don’t think my boyfriend would be prepared for modeling … :))

My husband said he doesn’t feel comfortable posing in front of the camera too, but I think he’s secretly enjoying it :D

14. Marilyn says:

You did a fantastic job!! I love the colors and the plaid does look good on your DH~well done Novita!! ~as always!! <3

15. Liza says:

Nice job…Bagusnya suami Novita mahu memakai baju yg dibuat isteri…saya mahu juga buat untuk suami…tapi dia sangat cerewet!!! LOL Susah tak utk re-adjust pattern dan membuat shirt untuk lelaki?

Thank you! It’s not difficult, the instruction for Negroni pattern is great and there are also lots of reference from the sew-along Flickr group :)

16. Rika Daniel says:

I’ve been trying so hard to finish a shirt for my boy friend, I almost frustrated, but you did a very good job :)!

17. Rachel K. says:

It looks fantastic. Good job! :)