When I saw this Kasia skirt pattern in Burdastyle, I really wanted to try it out. The pocket and waist area are so interesting. But since I don’t like wearing skirt (my wardrobe is all dresses) and I don’t think high-waisted skirt is a wise choice for someone in my size (and my height), I made it for my best friend who’s living several thousand miles away.
I also made a top with leg-of-mutton sleeves and high neck to go with the skirt. The base pattern is Lydia from Burdastyle, and I altered the sleeves using this useful information from VintageSewing.info.
Sewing the top was quite easy, and I really love the way the sleeves ballooning at the top.
Now this is the first version the Kasia skirt with striped fabric and red buttons; and I don’t like it at all. The stripes pattern was actually okay, but the skirt didn’t hang right and everything just didn’t look neat at all. Maybe I chose the wrong type of fabric.
When you fail, you can always start over, and that’s what I did. In fact, that’s the story of my life. This second version is made of polkadot corduroy. Sewing it was quicker and easier, I guess that’s why you need to make a muslin version first. I always too lazy to make one. The top front of the skirt is a bit wavy, but it’s acceptable I guess. In fact, I really like this second try.
And this is the whole outfit. I wrapped them in pattern paper and tied a ribbon made from fabric scraps. Signed, sealed, and delivered via Express Mail Service. They reached her in two days.
She said she’s really happy with the outfit and that’s the most important thing.
– Skirt pattern is Kasia from Burdastyle.
– Top pattern is an alteration of Lydia from Burdastyle.