I’ve only made one set of lingerie before, but here I am already starting to make experiment. I wanted to know if making a pair of bra from ordinary fabric without stretch is possible, so I made this yesterday after finishing Sidra’s jeans.
You know, sometimes you make something that looks good but somehow you never wear just because you never feel like wearing it. It’s the case of this tube top that I made about a year ago. I think I wore it once after that. It looks good, but maybe I just don’t feel too comfortable wearing something that leave my shoulders completely bare. So I decided to cut up this top for my bra experiment.
The pattern is the same as my first bra, Pin-up Girls Classic Bra #1230 in size 30B. The top has pretty embroideries on the edge that I use for the upper cup. I added about 0.5 cm to the length of the upper cup to anticipate the non-stretchiness. Other than that, there was no pattern alteration.
The band was cut on bias, but I did line it with powernet to make it stronger. I use bra notions kit in jeans blue from Merckwaerdigh at Etsy, it has enough supplies to make one pair of bra and panties, not including fabric. I also use underwires, salvaged from my old bra. It does give the bra more shape.
The finished bra is not as smooth as bra made with lycra. With all those embroideries, they are not suitable to be worn under T-shirt. But they look very pretty and surprisingly comfortable! I don’t know if it’s because I don’t have too many things to support, so maybe things will be different for the more well-endowed ladies. I think the bra would be perfect to be worn under thin loose blouse or with the floral straps peeking.
I also made a matching panties. The pattern is from a Japanese pattern book that I borrowed from local library sometime ago. The panties are cut on bias, so they are stretchy. I love this floral set! The fabric definitely wanted to be a pair of bra than a tube top!
The band is cut on bias and lined with power net.
Matching panties, cut on bias.
A couple more panties that I made before. The white one is made completely of stretch lace. Very easy sewing. It has high waist and is very sexy, leaving half of the lower butt hanging out. They are not very comfortable for me, but I guess there are people who love this style of panties.
The pink one is made with lycra and stretch lace. They are originally in white, but I dyed them red which resulted in this pink colour. Maybe I should let them soak longer for the red color. I also found out that my body doesn’t like working with dyes and chemical, I was coughing a lot when using the dye. Note to self: use mask for next dyeing project.