Grey jacket

Grey Jacket Grey Jacket

Grey Jacket Grey Jacket

Grey Jacket

Pattern Drafting vol. II, page 134

Another pattern from Pattern Drafting vol. II, this is from page 134 and it is called The Onepiece-Coat Ensemble (it is spelled that way!). I only made the coat and made several changes to it. It was shortened into a jacket since I only had one meter of the fabric, and three buttons are used instead of one. As my autumn dress, I didn’t draft the pattern, but cheated by scanning the page and enlarging it by 1000%. Cheating is the way to go!

Grey Jacket

Loop and button

The jacket has a pair of neck darts on each side and I love the fact that a lot of vintage patterns always have neck darts. They really make the neckline sits nicely. The sleeves are cut as one continuous piece with the bodice, I believe they are called kimono sleeves. The underarm of the sleeves are connected to the bodice with sleeve gussets. Actually I chose this pattern because I wanted to try making a garment with sleeve gusset. Although it was very different than ordinary sleeves, sewing the gusset wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. The front openings are not overlapped since they are using buttons and fabric loops.

I didn’t want to buy more fabrics so I used whatever in my stash to make the jacket. The outer fabric is plain grey wool and the lining is Nani IRO double-gauze cotton. The Nani IRO fabric has irregular dots pattern and pretty scallops on the border.

Grey Jacket

Grey Jacket

The end result was… well, a bit too plain for my taste. It’s just a plain grey shapeless jacket. Maybe I should have added more details to it, like ruffles or pleats or pockets or collars or tassels (maybe not). On the other hand, maybe it doesn’t hurt to have a rather plain addition to my wardrobe that I can pair with other stuff like this wacky leggings. Anyway, my husband saw the jacket when he came back from work, and he commented that it was really cute. At the end of the day, I still don’t know how I really feel about this jacket.

62 Responses to Grey jacket

1. Angie Lynn says:

I just stumbled onto your blog and love it. So inspiring. I know this is an older post so I’m not sure if you’ll see this comment. But I just have to say that I love the jacket. It is simple but lovely for the same reason. Also, you styled it just perfectly and that helps too. Wish I could find the book to make a jacket of my own.

2. sainomono says:

I think it’s absolutely gorgeous. But then again, I am a fan of simplicity. I love the way it looks on you as well :)

3. I love your Jacket! Do really did that? I admire you, I do not really the patience for doing my own clothes!

4. zoe welch says:

i’ve just discovered your blog! so terrific. i love this jacket and i’m very intrigued by the pattern book. do you have any suggestions as to where i might a copy of the book for myself?
    thanks so much.

5. lia says:

aduhhhh mbak! so pretty!!! too bad there are no winters di indo yah :) sooo… no jacket for me! :) … love the lining!!!

Thank you Lia!
      Well, this jacket is not too warm because the lining is cotton, I guess you can wear it in air-conditioned building :D

6. ktrn says:

What a great outfit!!

7. Regina says:

this is great…i need to sew.. this is inspirational…

8. tatiana says:

es genial..muy bonita y este libro me encantaria poderlo tener también jajaj
    besos desde barcelona

tatiana

9. What a sharp jacket and will go with almost anything.

10. I have a full length coat with similar shaping or lack of shape. Loved it the first season I wore it, but after losing a bunch of weight, its just not the same. Now it really does look like a giant grey baggie draped over my body.

Love what you did with the buttons/loops. I should try that on my next project with buttons as the sewing machine I use can’t seem to manage to do button holes on any type of fabric. It would sure beat trying to do them by hand, that’s for sure!

11. nemiha says:

LOVE the coat/jacket!!

12. alex says:

For some reason, your blog changed in Google Reader. Now instead of seeing your whole post and photos, I just get advertisements. You don’t need to publish this comment. I just wanted you to know in case you changed some settings. It’s been about a month now.

I know it has been happening for a while now, but I don’t know what’s causing it because I didn’t change anything. The feedburner and wordpress are both set to full post and not summary. I’ve tried to change it back to full posts but still haven’t succeeded.

13. Esther says:

LOVELY JACKET…loved the combination!!

14. caryn ann says:

I LOVE it.

15. Doda Liron says:

Fabulous jacket. I envy you that you have the time to sew so many thing…