Making reversible bag

Reversible bag

Bag dimensions in approximate:

• from top of straps to bottom of bag: 50 cm / 20 inches
  • height: 28 cm / 11 inches
  • width: 40 cm / 16 inches

Fabric needed:

I don’t know because I used leftover fabric for my bag. You can print the pattern and place it on your fabric to make an approximation. It is only one piece of pattern.

Fort similar bag, you can check Charlie bag by Burdastyle ($1.99). It is a bit bigger and has squared bottom.

Please go to the bottom of this post to download the PDF pattern and tutorial.

Disclaimer: You may use the finished products for both personal and commercial use (craft shops or markets only – no mass production). Please do not pass off the pattern and tutorial as your own. Thank you!

The Tutorial

1. Here is 4 pieces of fabrics after being cut. We’re gonna refer them as set A and set B. If you want pockets, sew them before going to the next step.
Making reversible bag

2. Sew the bottom and sides of each set. My bag has a rounded bottom and a dart, Charlie bag has straight edges.

If you use my pattern, sew the darts before sewing the bottom and sides of bag. My apology for not showing how to sew the darts, please do a google search if you don’t know.
Making reversible bag

3. Put set B in set A, right sides together, and sew around the straps. Stop stitching about 20 cm before the tops of the straps. If your machine has reverse stitch, use it on each end of stitchings to secure it.
Making reversible bag

4. Clip rounded corners.
Making reversible bag

5. Turn the right sides out through one of the straps. It will be a bit difficult at first and you’re gonna wonder if you’re doing it right, but just keep doing it. You will feel a thug and after that the bag will turn right sides out smoothly.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

Pull out each of the remaining straps.
Making reversible bag

6. Look! You almost have a bag!
Making reversible bag

7. Sew the straps of each set together. I often sew the straps absent-mindedly and then found out that I’ve attached them wrong! So please make sure that you sew each strap to the strap beside it, NOT the strap that is in front of it.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

8. Press the seams open. Fold seam allowances on straps and press. Also press edges of bag to make it easier for topstitching.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

9. Match the tops seams together and pin all open edges of straps. You can also use fusible tapes to make sure it is neat. But I will use pins here.
Making reversible bag

10. Topstitch all edges of bag. I use different colour thread for the bobbin.
Making reversible bag A reversible bag!

A reversible bag!
A reversible bag! A reversible bag!

Thank you for reading and I hope this post is useful for you!

Click to download:

PATTERN:

Download172527 downloads

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download119480 downloads

Have you made something from my tutorials? Join my flickr group to share!

309 Responses to Making reversible bag

1. Arlene says:

Thank you for this lovely tutorial!
    In step 3 it says: “Put set B in set A, right sides together”…
    Am I supposed to just put set A inside of set B as they are? Or maybe I need to flip one of the sets and that put them together…?
    Help please :)
    Thanks!

2. Dóri says:

Thanks for this awesome tutorial!:))
    I made my own reversible bag and I love it!:)

Dóri(15)

3. MajaMarci says:

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial!!!! I am so looking forward to making a bunch of these pretty totes for my sister and me :) thanks again!

4. Michelle says:

Hi, I just finished my first “re-bag”. I love your pattern, but the next one will have longer handles:-)
    Greetings from Germany!
    Michelle

5. Michelle says:

Hi, I just finished my “re-bag”.
    Love your tutorial.
    Greetings from Germany! Michelle

6. DM says:

Thank you for this tutorial !!!!

7. Lori says:

Question about darts. Do you sew them on all 4 pieces of fabric before sewing bottom and sides together? This is my first attemp at darts and a bag, so I’d prefer not to jack it all up! LoL!

• Lynsey says:

Hi Lori – You always sew the darts on the flat pieces (all four) before putting them together. You might somehow be able to sew them afterwards, but it would probably not be pretty!

8. Kim says:

Hi
    I love this bag design and have made it for myself and my daughter but a friend has asked to make it but with a zip. I realise this will mean it will no longer be reversible but she says that’s fine. I’m hoping you can offer me some advice on how best to do this.

• Lori says:

Hey Kim,
      Can you answer my question about the darts?? Do you sew them on all 4 pieces of material?

9. Orange says:

Hello!

Yesterday I made the reversible bag. I’m gonna post in on my blog. Thanks for the tutorial!

Many Greetings,

Orange

10. sienna says:

thanx… simple and great! No words!
    =:)

11. Christine says:

Hello, thank you for sharing this tutorial for this very cool looking bag. My teen and pre-teen daughter would love me to make this. How much fabric should I buy? I don’t want to buy too much and I don’t want to be short either. Thank you.

12. Kristin says:

Love this! Thanks for the tutorial, found it on pinterest!

13. Kristin says:

Love this! Found it on Pinterest, thanks so much for the how to.

14. joanne says:

hi.. i should say that your tote bags is
    very nice.. the ones that you have put in
    so far i like them all.. thank you

15. Lesley says:

THis is great! Pinning it for when I learn to sew, haha.

Lesley
    byporchlight.blogspot.com

16. Lynsey says:

her’s the picture – hope it works!

I used the cutouts from the handles to make her a little purse to go inside :-)

17. Lisa says:

This is an awesome tutorial! I love it!
    I made a link to this tutorial on my blog (http://sewlicious-lisa.blogspot.com/) :)
    Thank you for sharing this !

Lisa

18. lynn says:

Love this bag! Just wondering, when i print out this pattern, do I need to blow it up and if so, how big? I don’t have a printer (functioning printer, that is), so i’ll need to go to Staples. Would love to use this bag for the beach or day trips. Let me know if you think it’s large enough for this.
    Thanks!

19. Caroline says:

Hello. I would like to feature this tutorial on SewCanShe.com. Please drop me an email and let me know if that’s okay.

Thanks!

Caroline

20. Agathe says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial!

21. Sarah says:

I just made one of these bags using a button-down shirt I found at thrift store and it turned out great! Thanks for posting the pattern!

I just started reading your blog and am inspired by all the great clothes you’ve been making lately.

22. Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I made this bag by adding a few pockets, if you want to see my version is here: http://princessclarinet.artblog.fr/
    It is really handy, I love it :)

23. liz says:

Hi can you explain part where you sew the darts? you sew it in all 4 pieces before moving on right or am i missing something?

24. Kathy says:

Thank-You for the great pattern. How would you go about making the straps longer like in a crossover bag?

25. Olivia says:

thank you! It’s a fantastic tutorial, very clear and very good !

1 4 5 6 7 8 11