I finally finished Sidra’s art bag! Of course I could have bought an art bag with a set of drawing equipments inside it already, but that wouldn’t be fun. So I made the bag, and my husband picked a selection of drawing equipments to fill the bag. Well, that’s our idea of fun.
Anyway, the pattern is based loosely on a tutorial found in a Japanese pattern book, but I make it wider, add more pockets, straps, and other details.
The fabric is striped cotton/linen, green stripes for the outside and red stripes for the inside. I quilted the whole bag so it would keep its shape. To make it even sturdier, I made a detachable base filled with cardboard to be put inside the bag. The bag has 3 outer pockets, several inner pockets, and detachable shoulder straps. I put an iron-on crocodile patch on the bag to ‘break’ the boring stripes (and to make the bag owner happy). I also made a bag tag for Sidra’s name, the tag has a pocket so a piece of paper can be put inside for his address and phone number.
When I showed the bag to Sidra, he said that it was better than any other art bag in stores. Baby, that’s enough to make my day.