Making reversible bag

Reversible bag

Bag dimensions in approximate:

• from top of straps to bottom of bag: 50 cm / 20 inches
  • height: 28 cm / 11 inches
  • width: 40 cm / 16 inches

Fabric needed:

I don’t know because I used leftover fabric for my bag. You can print the pattern and place it on your fabric to make an approximation. It is only one piece of pattern.

Fort similar bag, you can check Charlie bag by Burdastyle ($1.99). It is a bit bigger and has squared bottom.

Please go to the bottom of this post to download the PDF pattern and tutorial.

Disclaimer: You may use the finished products for both personal and commercial use (craft shops or markets only – no mass production). Please do not pass off the pattern and tutorial as your own. Thank you!

The Tutorial

1. Here is 4 pieces of fabrics after being cut. We’re gonna refer them as set A and set B. If you want pockets, sew them before going to the next step.
Making reversible bag

2. Sew the bottom and sides of each set. My bag has a rounded bottom and a dart, Charlie bag has straight edges.

If you use my pattern, sew the darts before sewing the bottom and sides of bag. My apology for not showing how to sew the darts, please do a google search if you don’t know.
Making reversible bag

3. Put set B in set A, right sides together, and sew around the straps. Stop stitching about 20 cm before the tops of the straps. If your machine has reverse stitch, use it on each end of stitchings to secure it.
Making reversible bag

4. Clip rounded corners.
Making reversible bag

5. Turn the right sides out through one of the straps. It will be a bit difficult at first and you’re gonna wonder if you’re doing it right, but just keep doing it. You will feel a thug and after that the bag will turn right sides out smoothly.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

Pull out each of the remaining straps.
Making reversible bag

6. Look! You almost have a bag!
Making reversible bag

7. Sew the straps of each set together. I often sew the straps absent-mindedly and then found out that I’ve attached them wrong! So please make sure that you sew each strap to the strap beside it, NOT the strap that is in front of it.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

8. Press the seams open. Fold seam allowances on straps and press. Also press edges of bag to make it easier for topstitching.
Making reversible bag Making reversible bag

9. Match the tops seams together and pin all open edges of straps. You can also use fusible tapes to make sure it is neat. But I will use pins here.
Making reversible bag

10. Topstitch all edges of bag. I use different colour thread for the bobbin.
Making reversible bag A reversible bag!

A reversible bag!
A reversible bag! A reversible bag!

Thank you for reading and I hope this post is useful for you!

Click to download:

PATTERN:

Download173151 downloads

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download119895 downloads

Have you made something from my tutorials? Join my flickr group to share!

309 Responses to Making reversible bag

1. lanag says:

Hi,

What does it mean to sew the darts, in step 2?

Thanks!

2. k says:

love you work just getting into bag making

3. Fiona says:

This is lovely – I run a class for teenage sewers and I think this will be perfect. Thank you so much.

4. Shayda says:

Awesome tutorial! I had to reblog!

5. Molly says:

OH. I got it now. Never mind! :) Love how it is turning out!

6. Molly says:

I’m stuck on Step 3…. am I supposed to put set a inside of set b? can anyone explain it in more detail than what is already up?

7. Sarah Klass says:

I just finished sewing this bag tonight and am working on a cute flower embellishment to pin on. I made it a bit smaller to fit the fat quarter sized fabric that I had on hand and I L.O.V.E it! I see several more of these in my future for sure :-) Thanks SO much for a fabulous pattern and instructions xo

8. christina says:

Love this tute, but I think I messed up on #3 I sewed all 4 fabrics together Set B & A togther and was not able to turn it out correctly. What am I doing wrong? So confused but I know that it must be a simple error that can be fixed.

9. Manet says:

Hello!! a question: the step 4.. you sew the curve int the center before turn right??. Thanx!

10. Sara says:

I made your beautiful bag last night and it turned out fabulous! I have plans to make more and was wondering if anyone has tried to enlarge the pattern? I noticed some commented that they made it smaller. Anyway, I’m going to try for a larger version and was wondering if you or anyone else has suggestions for how much bigger to print the pattern? Or if there are any pitfalls I should watch out for?
    LOVE the BAG! Totally appreciate you sharing your knowledge and pattern.
    Thanks again.

Hi Sara,
      You can definitely print the pattern bigger, Yoshimi here has printed the bag at 110% to make it more proportional to her posture. I think anything larger than 150% will make the bag looks strange though.
      You can also make the straps longer for other variation.
      Glad that you like the bag! :)

• Nancy D'Amato says:

I …. LOVE …. THIS …. BAG! Thank you for sharing the pattern and reminding me that my sewing machine can do more than hem pants. I made mine last night (with less than ($10 in fabric) and plan to make another. Thanks for the post about enlarging the pattern. I was going to try this, but, it’s good to know someone tested it out before me!

11. violet says:

oh and thanks!

12. violet says:

looks nice and the w ay you did it seems like its easy as abc.will be trying this out

13. Krisy says:

How much fabric is needed to make the bag?

• He says:

I bought 5/8 of a yard of each pattern. It was just enought to cut the pattern and have a little left over to make a matching tissue holder…very cool

14. Sarah says:

Love this pattern. Thanks for sharing, made one for myself and have had so many comments. Then made some for friends. Great gift.

Thanks. Sarah

15. Jpo_studio says:

I just got my sewing machine for Christmas and I’m so glad I found your site! I haven’t sewed, like hardcore sewed in so long. So far I started easy with 6 Christmas stockings and a few cases for I devices.

Anyways, I’m a little nervous about making the bag. Lol I know it’s soooooo simple, it’s the reversible part that scares me. I just wanted to make sure, you sewed A&B seperately, and then to each other? Lol time to cut the fabric!

16. Tima says:

I just love your fabulous tutorials. I’m laminating them and bringing them to my students!!
    Thanx a 1.000000 :D

17. Caroline says:

Thanks for this fantastic free pattern. I was buying fabrics in a shop and the girl who owns it gave me the link after I saw the bag hanging there. Very satisfying.

18. Kahlia says:

Hi :) Love your bag! Hope you don’t mind, I blogged and posted a link back to you :)

This was a rgeat tutorial. Very easy to follow :)

19. JulieAnn says:

LOL! Just made the bag. And made the very error you said not to make…I sewed the handles incorrectly. And I didn’t realize until I was top-stitching. So – my little girl has a new bag. And I learned from my mistake. That said – this is a cinch to make! I’m making 4 to give as gifts to all my nieces. Thanks! :)

20. Emma says:

Hi, I’ve just printed out the pattern for this bag and I’m planning on making it tomorrow. Just 1 question. The pattern has 2 sets of lines. Is the outter a cutting line and the inner the sewing line? Sorry for sounding so stupid but I haven’t got much fabric and I don’t want to mess up. Thanks in advance.

Hi Emma, yes you got it right. The outer line is the cutting lines. You don’t have to worry about the inner line, it is just for a guide so you can estimate the size of your bag. Just sew the bag with 5/8″ (1.5 cm) seam allowance.
      Good luck!

21. angela says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I just made one for my 3 year old niece ! I can not wait to give it to her. I shrank the pattern to 75%. Perfect size!! and so cute. All the little girls i know are now gonna get one of these!

22. Thank you very much for the tutorial! I made it and i am very excited with it!!! I posted a link back to your site on my blog.

23. Ana says:

I love this bag. I made it and it’s easy and so wearable.

I linked you in my blog, I hope you don’t mind. :)

Thank you!

Ana

24. I just wanted to sincerely thank you for posting up this pattern. I just used it to make bags for two of my girlfriends for their birthdays and they were really impressed and really loved them. It’s a great pattern, so versatile and very easy to use and understand. Thanks!!!

25. Kara says:

Very cute bag. I made this and am posting a link back to your site on my blog. Auntiekarascraft.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Kara