Batik top with bow brooch

Batik top with bow brooch Batik top with bow brooch
Batik top with bow brooch Batik top with bow brooch

I’ve used the fabric for this batik dress, and still have some left to make a simple top. The fabric is actually not a real batik, as the pattern is printed to resemble the batik technique. The pattern is an orange variation of parang rusak pattern with orange and blue flowers.

I made a very simple pattern for this top, consisted of two pattern pieces, front and back. The neckline is V-shaped, finished with bias bindings made from the same fabric.

The big bow on the chest is a brooch, so it can be removed or placed somewhere else. The bow started as a rectangle, gathered in the middle and then covered with a smaller rectangle. I finished it by sewing a brooch pin on the back. Making the fabric bow was very easy and pretty addictive, I’m really tempted to make more bows and put them everywhere!

Batik top with bow brooch Batik top with bow brooch Batik top with bow brooch Batik top with bow brooch

I often got questions regarding my pictures. Well, actually most of my pictures were taken in my bedroom because it’s the most sunlighted room in the house. The bedroom has white walls and ceiling that act as a good reflector, and the windows are big frosted glass which diffuse the lights better. I prefer natural light than artificial light (room lights, flashlights, etc), that’s why I can only take pictures in sunny day.

I just put my camera on a tripod, then stand against the white wall and wait for my self-timed camera to click. So I have like 10 seconds after I push the shutter button, run in front of the camera and strike a pose. Very glamorous, eh? My camera is Panasonic Lumix G1, a small SLR camera that my ♥ ♥ ♥ husband gave me as a birthday present last year. This camera has a swivel LCD display so I can see myself when standing in front of the camera.

There are a lot of buttons on this camera, but I only understand the ‘A’ button. ‘A’ is for the automatic setting, it makes my life easier. But when taking pictures for this post, I want to shoot myself standing against the window. As I wasn’t in front of the camera when the shutter button was pushed, the automatic setting resulted in a very under-exposed picture of myself against the well-lighted window. A nice silhouette I must say so, but not what I had in mind.

To correct this,  I stand in front of the camera as far as I can while pushing the shutter button halfway, still in the automatic setting. At this time, the aperture and shutter speed readings were shown in the LCD display (that was swiveled toward me). This is the correct readings that I need. Then I set the camera on manual and input these readings. The result is a well-lighted me against the over-exposed window. This over-exposed lighting makes the net curtain seems to disappear, and the bow brooch that I pin on the curtain seems to float in the air. Neat!

Now I have gone rambling too far about my mediocre photography knowledge in this sewing post, so I will stop.

Circle scarf and bow brooch

Circle scarf and bow brooch
Circle scarf and bow brooch
Circle scarf and bow brooch
It’s about time to warm up my knitting needles again. I started knitting this scarf about two days ago while waiting for Sidra in his swimming class. This scarf is knitted on double pointed needle size 15 JPN/6.5 mm and only utilized K1P1 ribbing stiches, no eyelets, fancy lace, etc, because it seemed that my knitting skill has gone back to zero. The yarn is Puppy Maurice wool yarn in sort of blue-green-beige colour.

It’s finished today and then I knitted a little bow brooch from the leftover, again only using K1P1 ribbing stitches. The whole result is a little bit wonky, but the yarn are so soft, warm, and delicious so I love them anyway.
Knitted bow brooch Knitted bow brooch

Bather bunny brooch

The problem with having a kid in the house is you get a lot of outgrown clothes in such a short time. I can give them away if the conditions are still good, and use the stained ones as rags. But there’s still too many of them, and I don’t need that much of rags either.

So today I made an experiment with one of Sidra’s shirt. I cut it into long strip of fabric, about 1.5 cm in width, and crocheted it into a circle using 10 mm hook.

Bather bunny brooch
Then I took an acrylic drawing that my husband made sometime ago. Here’s the link to his drawing. It is a reinterpretation of a Renoir painting, ‘Bather with crossed legs’, but he turned it into a bather bunny. Yeah, he’s weird like that. With his permission, I printed the drawing to a sheet of iron-on special fabric and ironed it to a piece of muslin. Then I just sewed it to another fabric, with some quilt batting between them.

I sewed the crochet circle to the bunny, tucking the frayed edges under the circle, and sewed a safety pin on the back of the brooch. Voila!

Now we have fun with the pictures.
Bather bunny brooch