Sidra has been down from influenza and skipped school for several days. Today is the fourth day and he’s feeling much better, but the first two days were really bad, so he (and I) was really sad. To cheer him up, I knitted these two animals. The snake is also a scarf, using the same wool yarn as Sidra’s red cable mittens. Because I only had one skein left, the snake turned out to be pretty short. The owl is knitted with the organic wool sent by Ms. N the other day. I used fabric scraps from Sidra’s shirt to […]
After seeing me with my grey mittens, Sidra promptly requested a pair of similar mittens with ‘snakes’, but in different color. There’s some red wool in my stash, so I use it to make Sidra’s request. I couldn’t find any pattern that fit the yarn or the cable pattern, so I bravely decided to create my own, based loosely on Bella’s Mitten pattern that I used for my grey mittens. And just for fun, the left one has a strip of grey, while the right one has a grey thumb. The pattern was just made up as I was knitting […]
Excuse my model, he just woke up this morning when I wanted to take these pictures. Crocheted with very chunky wool yarn and 10 mm needle hooks, the pattern is actually for a hat with earflaps. But as it was being crocheted, the hat slowly turned to the shape of donguri (acorn) in my eyes, so I decided not to make the flaps and put some chained strings instead. I also added a chained loop on top of the hat. It kinda looks like a tea cozy when not being worn, but once on the head, I think it looks […]
The school requires that the children should wear school smock to school and any jacket or coat should be taken off before entering the schoolbus. That is why I decided to make a cape for Sidra because it can be easily taken off once the bus is coming. Sidra has specifically requested something with green fur for his coat, so I bought half a metre of this green fur to use as a lining for the black wool. The pattern is an alteration from Sidra’s navy jacket. The cape also has two slits for hands and a pair of pockets. […]
The fabric was bought in Nippori, in another fabric shopping trip with Yoshimi about 10 days ago. It’s a transparent knit fabric in beige colour, very soft and comfortable. I really like the fabric that I also bought another one in grey. I turned the fabric into these long-sleeved shirts for Sidra and my husband. The necklines are a bit wider than usual, and the neckline and bottom of the sleeves are finished in the similar way as my husband’s striped shirt (unfinished and zig-zag stitched).
Sidra needed a navy knee-length pants and a white shirt for the school concert, so I thought I’d just made them myself instead of buying some. The shirt fabric is white cotton with some interesting thin pintucks on it. The pants fabric is navy thick cotton, and I also made a matching jacket to the pants. For added warmth, I lined the jacket with blue flannel that I cut out of an Ikea blanket. I made the pattern for the pants myself by tracing one of Sidra’s pants, and then adding pocket details and turned-up hem. The shirt pattern is […]
I finally finished it in about three days, and it turned out to be, uh, a bit too small for Sidra. Darn it. But as usual, he’s very excited about the new hat. I added a pompom on top of the hat and another one of those bug button on the hat. This time, the button is a blue kuwagata-mushi (another kind of helmet beetle). Because it’s too small, the hat doesn’t serve any other purpose than being cute. It can’t be pulled down to cover the ears or forehead. However, for serving the purpose of being cute, I think […]
I finally finished my first knitting project, it’s a muffler for Sidra! Actually, I still didn’t know what I’m going to make when I began knitting the yellow yarn. I was thinking of making a long thin scarf for myself. But Sidra saw me playing with yarn and ‘chopsticks’, and after observing the yellow thing dangling on the stick, he declared that whatever it was, it would be his. Okay then. The completed muffler measured about 10×53 cm and it’s entirely in knit stitches. I’m still trying to get the hang of purl stitches (and other stitches). I managed to […]
Another pants for my son. I use denim with a bit of stretch in it, and scraps of corduroy from my husband’s jacket for the waistband and pockets. The pattern is the same as all his previous pants, but the legs are slimmed down this time.
A simple and quick sewing for Sidra. I don’t have much fabric for this, so the pants don’t have front pockets and belt loops. The pants’ pattern has been used for about three times now, and sewing it is getting quicker and quicker. This one took about one hour to make. I’m thinking of making about five or six more of this pants, maybe changing the leg shape a little bit or adding some details. Sidra has been growing so fast, all his jeans don’t fit anymore now.