Hello! My name is Novita.
I’m a stay-at-home mom living in Tokyo with the two love of my life. We’re originally from Indonesia. My son and I moved to Tokyo in 2008 when I got married to my husband who has been living here since 1999. This is the story of how I met my husband.
I learned sewing by myself in 1997, using a hand-cranked sewing machine, then a treadle sewing machine, and graduated to an electric sewing machine. I continued to study for one year in ESMOD (l’Ecole Supérieure des Arts et techniques de la Mode), Jakarta, Indonesia, in 1998. Unfortunately I didn’t have much time to sew after I graduated, since I worked full time as fashion editor in several magazines in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Shortly after moving to Tokyo in 2008, I found myself with lots of free time and I decided to restart this old hobby that I hadn’t been doing for almost ten years. It was one of the best decision in my life! This blog was started as my sewing journal so I can look at and learn from my past projects. I also tried other craft like knitting, crocheting, or needle felting, but always went back to sewing.
In 2013 our family started to foster dogs for ARK (Animal Refuge Kansai). These dogs are abandoned or stray dogs, we foster them before they find a forever home. It is such a wonderful and loving journey for our little family.
I hope you enjoy my blog and can find some inspiration here!
Tools – Sewing
- Janome Equle CP 4850 – Used since February 2010, replacing my Janome Agneau d’Or Y101. Both are only available in Japan. Before I got a serger, I used zigzag stitch (#8) and stretch stitch (#6) on my Janome for sewing knits.
- Babylock BL-75 – similar to Babylock Imagine. Used since March 2012. It is a gift from a very kind lady!
Tools – Pictures
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Digital SLR Camera – I’ve used it since 2008, a birthday present from my lovely husband. I’m small, and digital SLR cameras always feel too big for my frame. This Panasonic is light and small enough for me, and -more importantly- very easy to use. I just put it on a tripod, set the timer and snap some pictures! Sometimes I set it on manual mode, but most of the time I just use the auto mode with perfect result.
- Panasonic DMCLX2K Digital Camera – This is the camera that I used before I got the DSLR. It is a small and compact digital camera, just point and click. You can check out my posts dated before December 2008 to see the pictures taken with this camera. Sometimes I still use it to take pictures of small objects where a DSLR is too bulky to use.
- iPhone 4s – I think I use this one more as a camera than a phone! Since I got it, I rarely used my compact camera again. My favorite apps are Snapseed, VSCO CAM, and of course Instagram. Here’s the link to my Instagram gallery.
- Olloclip 3-in-1 Lens for iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S – This one is clipped almost permanently on my iPhone. I mostly use the wide angle to get the most of vision.
- For editing pictures, I use Picasa and Adobe Photoshop.
- I make my illustration and pattern using CorelDRAW, a vector drawing software.
Tools – Blogging:
- Hostgator – Hosting company that I used for the first two years of blogging in this domain.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) – Hosting, mainly maintained by my husband. I switched to AWS after about 2 years with Hostgator.
- The Thesis Theme – The first premium WordPress theme that I bought after using free theme, Atahualpa. I love tweaking my blog and making changes in Thesis is so easy. It also has great support service and a helpful forum.
- Headway theme - It is a premium WordPress theme offering drag and drop layout editing, easy design customization, and developer friendliness. I changed my theme to Headway on December 2012.
- Flickr - For image hosting.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and I will earn a commission on referrals or sales generated by those links. That said, I personally trust and use all the products listed above and have found them satisfactory. More disclosure….