A couple of weeks ago I got the chance to meet Ying from Tailor Made Blog, who was in vacation in Japan. If you love making lingerie, you might have known or even bought from her lingerie supplies shop. Of course she has very kindly gifted me several lingerie supplies, including this pretty white stretch lace! Thank you Ying!
The bra pattern is Merckwaerdigh BHS10 , this pattern is such a steal because you get 5 bra patterns in one package. This time I use the soft laced bra pattern in size 30E. The pattern actually doesn’t have size 30E, so I use size 32D and shortened the back band.
The whole cups are stabilized with transparent white tricot. I put clear elastic on the lace edges of the neckline and the power bar. The underarm is finished with foldover elastic. The straps are not adjustable, I put the bra on and mark the length before stitching them down on the back band.
The panties are based on my favorite panties pattern, Merckwaerdigh low rider. I added center front seam and center back seam so the lace edges can be used around the leg. The panties are lined with soft power net. I had thought about how to finish the edges of the power net, but then I decided to simply leave it hang loose.
I’m quite happy with the result! When I decided on the pattern, I thought that the bra would be for home wear only. My first version of this pattern was very comfortable but doesn’t have enough support because I didn’t line the stretch lace. With fully lined cups, this white bra turned out to have enough support with nice shaping. One thing that I would change is the placement of the back straps, they are too far from each other at the moment. Because it doesn’t have foam nor underwire, this bra is very light while still comfortable. I’m planning my second one at the moment!
This is the second dress that I made from the fabrics that I bought in Indonesia. The beautiful print and color combination caught my eyes immediately. The price is also a bargain at about USD5/meter.
The fabric is stretch polyester and quite slinky. I knew that I wanted to make a dress with it, preferably with as little seamlines as possible so the beautiful print wouldn’t be cut. So I was quite happy when I stumbled upon Kielo wrap dress by Named patterns, a simple maxi dress with an interesting shape. It has diamond shape with two waist ties and back vent. The dress has a couple of sleeve dart on the front and a couple of back darts.
Named patterns are designed for the height of 172 cm / 5’8″, which is quite far from 150 cm / 4’11” that is my height. I used the same way that I usually do for Burdastyle patterns, printing the pattern at 92% and cut size 38. I found that this is the best way to make the pattern petite for me. Further alteration were shortening the bodice about 1 cm and the skirt about 5 cm. Everything is about making the pattern shorter!
Eventually all the alterations worked quite well. The dress is now at the right proportion to my body. Sewing process was quite simple. The most lengthy process was probably making the ties since it has to be lightly interfaced and turned out. The neckline and armholes are finished with bias binding.
I find that the dress can be worn in several ways. With the ties wrapped around for a tighter fit or loosely tied for a looser fit. You can even knot the ties at the front or the back for a different look. A very versatile dress.
One thing that I don’t really like about the dress has nothing to do with the pattern at all. Since the fabric is polyester, it turned out to be not the perfect choice for summer. In the hottest days, the fabric emanates some sort of ‘burnt polyester smell’ if you know what I mean. It is also quite transparent so I have to wear slip dress underneath, which cancels the purpose of a loose summer dress. But it sure does look good!
I’m still very intrigued with the pattern, so hopefully I will find another nice fabric for my second Kielo!
Pattern is Kielo wrap dress by Named patterns (PDF), size 38 printed at 92%