Art bag

Art bag
I finally finished Sidra’s art bag! Of course I could have bought an art bag with a set of drawing equipments inside it already, but that wouldn’t be fun. So I made the bag, and my husband picked a selection of drawing equipments to fill the bag. Well, that’s our idea of fun.

Anyway, the pattern is based loosely on a tutorial found in a Japanese pattern book, but I make it wider, add more pockets, straps, and other details.

The fabric is striped cotton/linen, green stripes for the outside and red stripes for the inside. I quilted the whole bag so it would keep its shape. To make it even sturdier, I made a detachable base filled with cardboard to be put inside the bag. The bag has 3 outer pockets, several inner pockets, and detachable shoulder straps. I put an iron-on crocodile patch on the bag to ‘break’ the boring stripes (and to make the bag owner happy). I also made a bag tag for Sidra’s name, the tag has a pocket so a piece of paper can be put inside for his address and phone number.

When I showed the bag to Sidra, he said that it was better than any other art bag in stores. Baby, that’s enough to make my day.

Art bag

White dress

White dress

I was in the sewing room, about to finish Sidra’s art bag, when I saw this white Indian cotton lying around. I’ve used some of it to make a hat and it was still about 1 metre left. And suddenly I had the urge to make this white dress.

The pattern is basically the same as this purple dress with hood , sans hood and sleeves. I put 4 buttons on the bust and added a pair of big pocket. The neckline and armholes are finished with ready-made double-gauze binding strips. Love this quick and easy project!
White dress

Purple dress and white hat

Purple dress and white hat
Purple dress and white hat

Now I should be making something else, a bag for Sidra’s art equipments, but I’ve been to 2 local fabric stores and didn’t find any suitable fabrics. Those unsuccesful trips resulted in purchase of other not so necessarily things, like these purple and white cotton fabrics. I guess Sidra has to wait for his bag next week, Mama’s being selfish today.

The purple dress is very simple, I used a basic bodice block to make the upper part. The lower parts are just 2 rectangles the width of the fabric, The front rectangle is cut in half for the opening. I was experimenting with unfinished edges (or maybe I’m just lazy), so I didn’t use any facings, except for self-facings for the front opening. To prevent further fraying, the raw edges are double stitched about 1 cm from the edges. The buttons are all in different shapes.

The hat pattern is from a Japanese pattern book, but I made the brim slightly wider. The fabric is Indian cotton. It was a very quick sewing, and I really like the result. I think I’ll make another hat in black.

Bodice pattern is JJ’s Bodice Sloper/Block from Burdastyle.
Hat pattern is from ソーイングナチュリラ vol.2 Spring&Summer.

Linen jacket and pants

It’s getting warmer now and Sidra doesn’t need to wear thick jacket anymore. But I think he still needs a thin jacket because sometimes it’s quite windy around here.
Linen jacket and pants
Linen jacket and pants

The fabrics are bought from a nearby store, they are linen, pre-cut to 50 cm. I need two pieces for the jacket, and one for the pants, with almost no leftover (love this!). The jacket uses the same pattern as this navy jacket , but I didn’t put any lining for this one; at the end, they look entirely different. What a big difference some linings make!

The pants have no side seam, kinda like pajama pants. The bottom hems are left raw with only stitching about 1 cm from the bottom to prevent them from fraying too much. The waist is elasticized and it has a pair of front pocket. I put a tiny iron-on patch sheep on the corner of one pocket.

After seeing Sidra in his linen jacket, my husband said he wanted one too ^.^

Jacket and pants patterns are from R&D.M.Co-boys&girls.